In the centre of Almaty, on the corner of Tole bi and Ahmet Baytursynov streets the 13-storeyed building of the main case of Almaty Technological University in which within fifty seven years of its history more than 50000 people graduated rises. Graduates of ATU nowadays work in all parts of the Republic of Kazakhstan and foreign countries, with gratitude remembering "Alma Mater".
And everything began so...
May 10, 1957. Orders of the Ministry of the industry of foodstuff of the USSR and Ministry of the higher education. The USSR Almaty branch of Institute of improvement leading and technical officers was transferred No. 155/548 to the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the higher education of the USSR and reorganized into Almaty branch of All-Union correspondence institute of food industry. Ivanova E.F. was appointed the director of this Branch.
June 4, 1966. No. 1501 the Almaty branch of All-Union correspondence institute of food industry was transferred by the order of Council of ministers of Russian Federation Union of Soviet Republics to the order of the Government Kazakh to the Soviet Socialist Republic for inclusion in structure of the Dzhambul Institute of Technology of light and food industry.
August 11, 1966. The Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic No. 1365-r the Almaty branch of All-Union correspondence institute of the food industry was renamed by the order of Council of ministers into Almaty branch of the Dzhambul Institute of Technology of light and food industry (AF DTILPP).
May 7, 1996. The Almaty branch of Zhambyl Institute of Technology of light and food industry was reorganized by the resolution of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 573 into the Almaty Institute of Technology (AIT).
August 18, 1999. The Almaty Institute of Technology is reorganized by the resolution of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 1192 into non-profit organization – Almaty Technological University Closed Joint Stock Company (JSC ATU).
December 15, 2003. On the basis of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "About joint-stock companies" the solution of general shareholder meeting (protocol No. 14) the Almaty Technological University closed joint stock company was re-registered No. 415-P of May 12, 2003 in Almaty Technological University Joint-stock Company (JSC ATU).
These years became history of formation of one of the leading higher education institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan - Almaty Technological University. But, as we know, any educational institution fruitfully functions, first of all, thanks to people who worked and work in it. In this regard, work much working in higher education institution is invaluable, including also heads of Almaty Technological University at all stages of its formation and development. Today we remember names of directors of AF DTILPP with gratitude working in due time for the benefit and prosperity of higher education institution.
In 1994 Kulazhanov Kuralbek Sadibayevich, Doctor of Chemistry, professor becomes the last branch director who subsequently headed the Institute formed on the basis of Branch.
Establishment of Almaty branch of All-Union correspondence institute of food industry was dictated by pressing problems of a national economy of the Republic and all Union of that time. 1957-1958 became a decisive milestone in need of training for branches of light and food industry Kazakh to the Soviet Socialist Republic. Prerequisites of it were requirements of the arising agrarian and industrial complex of the Republic, rapid development of economy of all country. Life in new measurements began, more major problems began to be solved. As the result all told, in Alma-Ata was created the center for preparation of local shots for mill farms, bakeries, macaroni factories, brewing and alcoholic beverage plants, plant of sparkling wines, meat and dairy combines, confectioneries, restaurants and objects of public catering. The first a set in Branch and release made about 400 people of Branch.
Since 1987 Almaty branch of Dzhambul Institute of Technology of light and food industry, having united with All-technical faculty of DTILPP in the city of Alma-Ata, I began to train specialists of light and textile industry for garment factory of Yury Gagarin, the Karaganda hosiery factory, Almaty carpet factory combine, Almaty cotton factory combine.
During this period of formation, significant for Branch and development by head higher education institution - Dzhambul Institute of Technology of light and food industry, Mukhametkaliyev Tasbolat Mardenovich –Doctor of Chemistry, professor who has worked and directed in ATU at various administrative and managerial positions since 2000. ATU employees remembers with gratitude the vice rector of educational and methodical work and international relations, academician, Doctor of Economics, professor Naribayev Kupzhasar Naribayevich who worked from 2002 to 2006.
The 60-s and 70-s are connected in the history of ATU with formation of schools of sciences, its faculty. In the 60-s the teaching staff made 27 people, of them 9 associate professors, 5 senior teachers, 13 assistants. It was also years of acquisition of experience of the organization and management of such staff. By the beginning of the 70-s in Branch 66 people, among them 21 candidates of science, 18 associate professors, 23 senior teachers worked. New chairs were opened: "History of Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU), philosophy and scientific communism", "Political economy", "Chemistry", "Physics", "The higher mathematics and graphics", "Foreign languages", "All-engineering disciplines", "Theoretical and technical mechanics". These years are characterized also by formation of various directions of scientific researches. The number of specialties of preparation, the contingent of students and, respectively, a number of workers of all categories grew.
The 80-s are most remarkable qualitative and proliferation of the faculty. During this period there is an active formation of educational and methodical base. Teachers go for professional development, study in postgraduate study and doctoral studies in the best higher education institutions of the cities of Moscow, Leningrad, Kemerovo and other cities of the USSR.
Relation of higher education institution with production was gradually established. Those years the first contracts on cooperation with leading enterprises of the city on carrying out on their squares of practical and laboratory researches and work practice started being signed. This tradition remained still. Today ATU has branches of the letting-out chairs at many enterprises, large production companies, scientific centers. 25 heads of the largest enterprises of the country are nowadays members of the Board of trustees of ATU.
With growth of the number of students there was a need for new educational cases. In 1987 the part of chairs of Branch moves to the new high-rise building down the street Komsomol (nowadays to Tole bi), 100. By the beginning of the 90-s ATU I had already three educational cases and one dormitory. On January 1, 1991 3 faculties functioned in Branch: Consumer services, Bakeries and Food productions and 18 chairs.
In the middle of the 90-s the status and, respectively, structure of higher education institution changes. In 1996 AF DTILPP is transformed into Almaty Institute of Technology and Kulazhanov Kuralbek Sadibayevich, Doctor of Chemistry was appointed, who is rector, professor. Since 2015 he has been the President of Almaty Technological University, and Kulazhanov Talgat Kuralbekovich, Doctor of Engineering, professor became the rector of university instead of it. At new institute in the second half of the 90-s four faculties are formed: design and service, technology of bakeries, food technology and economics department. The faculty of professional development and retraining of experts, preparatory office open. Chairs function: Engineering graphics, Physical training, Technology of knitted production, Technology and designing of garments, the Higher mathematics, Physics, Storage and technology of processing of grain, Technology of baking, macaroni, confectionery productions, Cars and devices of food productions, Automatic equipment and computer facilities, All-engineering disciplines, General and inorganic chemistry, Technology of food productions, Economy and organization of production, Informatics and applied mathematics, Social and humanitarian disciplines, Russian and foreign languages.
This period is marked by active adjustment of international relations of ATU with the leading higher education institutions of the near and far abroad. The administration of university signs contracts for training of teachers and employees abroad: "University of fashion" of Mr. Urbino, Italy (Zhilisbayeva Raushan Orazovna, Ualiyev Kakhar Matpusayevich, Zhaungarova Asiya Aliyarovna, Rayeva Dana Muratovna), universities of the cities of Hayderabad and Mysore, India (Oryngaliyeva Nuriya Kuandykovna, Espayeva Klara Sybankulovna, Kenzhebayev Berik Mukanovich). The international exchange of students starts being started. On an exchange in ATU students Semenek Thomas (the Czech Republic, 1998) and Florijan Suess are trained (Germany, 1999). Besides, the university begins reception of foreign students. Young people from Turkey, the People`s Republic of China (PRC), Mongolia who successfully graduated from our university were the first such students.
In essence, the present personnel structure of ATU was created in 2000-2001. The big contribution to worthy development of higher education institution was made working at that time: the first vice rector of university –Doctor of Chemical Science, professor Mukhametkaliyev Tasbolat Mardenovich; the vice rector of educational and methodical work and international relations of university - Dr.Econ.Sci., professor Naribayev Kupzhasar Naribayevich, and also Doctor of Chemical Science , professor Makasheva Gallia Rakhimzhanovna, Dr..Tech. Sci, professor Medvedkov Evgeny Borisovich, Cand.Tech.Sci., associate professor Satvaldinova Amilya Gabbasovna, Cand.Econ.Sci., associate professor Esaydar Urzada Serimovna, Cand.Tech.Sci., associate professor Zaritskaya Nadezhda Evgenyevna, senior teacher Mametova Zukhra Kasymovna and many others. During this period there are changes in structure of university. Now 5 faculties and 21 chairs are its part. In 2005 at university the college of technology and economics training specialists of an average link in a number of the directions of preparation opened.
Considerably the material base of university becomes stronger. ATU nowadays has the developed material, social and information infrastructure. Three educational cases, five dormitories, the covered and open sports constructions, the big assembly hall and combine of food which total area makes more than 70 000 sq.m. are put into operation. Significantly growth is received by library book and information funds, modern laboratories for studies and scientific researches open, broad access to global information networks is provided, the automatic learning management system and administrations of "Tamos University Suite" takes root.
Now in ATU three research institutes function: Scientific research institute on food technology; Scientific research institute on problems of light industry; Scientific research institute on quality and safety of foodstuff with the accredited certified laboratory.
Also educational scientific centers function: The grain center and the center for processing of meat, Scientific laboratory for undergraduates and doctoral candidates. The national RK innovative fund opened in 2011 at university Office of commercialization of scientific and technological development. Mission of Office consists in the organization of effective management of process of commercialization for universities and scientific institutes according to a regional site.
Leafing through pages of almost sixty-year history of Almaty Technological University today, we are once again convinced that our main achievement is today a solid creative collective thanks to which the university reached a present state and has high public and state reputation, and also achieved and continues to achieve wide recognition not only in educational space of the Republic of Kazakhstan, but also successfully leaves in the international educational space.